I’m a second stomach kinda gal. I may have polished off 3 bowls of chilli for dinner but that does stop the pangs of ‘I WANT CHOCOLATE’ coming from my brain.
Key-word; Brain. The brain tricks us eating into sugar when we are sad, lonely and bored all the time. Admittedly I usually decide its easier to go with the flow and indulge instead of letting it taunt me all night. But post Christmas sugar blitz I have been trying to break the cycle with some faux-sweet treats:
- I have found the perfect chocolate-mint tea that sometimes satisfies (when paired with 3 squares 90% dark chocolate)
- Berry smoothies work
- Bananas dipped in peanut butter (for the peanut butta lova’s)
- Banana ‘icecream’ (but I may or may not have broke my food processor blending dates)
Along with being a great dessert, these are a pretty suitable post workout snack (if your into that sorta thang) or pick me up whist shopping/hiking/blogging.
Raw Peanut butter Cookie Dough Bites (Makes 12 servings)
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2/3 favourite nuts (preferably cashews or almonds)
- 6 mejool dates
- tablespoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips
- If your food processor isn’t a fighter, soak your dates in just enough hot water to cover them for 5-10 minutes.
- Blend nuts, oats and salt in food processor until coarse crumbs form.
- Add in dates, peanut butter, vanilla, and 1/2 chocolate chips. Blend in short bursts until nicely combined but not over mixed.
- Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter together and roll into small balls
Keep in refrigerator or freezer. They taste best slightly cool or at room temperature.